6 Reasons Why You Should Do a Semester Exchange in Guadalajara
May 13, 2021
I’m sure you’ll agree with the fact that a semester exchange program is a great way to learn about a new country and its culture. You get the opportunity to meet people from varied backgrounds and learn a new way of living.
The second largest city in Mexico, Guadalajara provides a great combination of various factors for such an enriching educational experience. The architecture, art, music, people – everything in Guadalajara leaves a memorable impression on you. Below are 6 reasons why you should do a semester exchange in this beautiful city:
1. Culture and heritageGuadalajara is an old city and is very famous for its cultural contributions to the world. The well preserved colonial architecture in the historic center attracts visitors from all over the world. The world heritage site, Hospicio Cabañas is very popular for the varied styles of architecture. The complex is decorated with captivating murals by José Clemente Orozco. The mesmerizing Guadalajara cathedral is another notable attraction in the city. Moreover, the city wholeheartedly celebrates the International Mariachi Festival. It is a big celebration of the local music and dance. This city has a lot to offer in terms of culture and heritage. By spending a semester here, you get the first-hand experience of the cultural marvels of Guadalajara.
2. Technology HubThis city has emerged as one of the major technology hubs in Mexico. Many multinational companies like IBM, HP, and Intel among others, have manufacturing plants in the city. The city has heavily invested in research and development and technology related projects. The business culture of the city is very impressive. There are many companies and start-ups that are increasingly promoting new talent. As a result, there are plenty of job and internship opportunities for students in the city. Studying here will allow you to build a strong network of friends and professionals that will help you in your future professional endeavors.
Student Housing in Guadalajara
Find the most social, comfortable and fun student housing in Guadalajara
3. Presence of many reputed universitiesGuadalajara is home to many reputed Mexican universities. The most popular one is Universidad de Guadalajara, which is a public university and is primarily renowned for its excellent engineering programs. ITESO is a Jesuit university and offers a wide range of diverse programs. This city also consists of a campus of the renowned Tec de Monterrey, one of the best universities in Mexico. Universidad Autónoma de Guadalajara is the oldest private university in Mexico. It is most renowned for its medical school.
4. Lower cost of livingThe lower cost of studying and living in the city is another advantage for international students. By attending a semester exchange at a university in Guadalajara which has alliances with your home university, you don’t have to bear the cost of tuition fees. However, you might have to bear your accommodation, food and transportation expenses. This is a nonissue as the overall cost of living in Guadalajara is cheaper than most western countries. You can find plenty of options for accommodation in the city, which are quite inexpensive. The public transport is also very cheap. You are most likely to get the best value for your money.
5. Variety of incredible foodThere is no doubt that Mexican cuisine is absolutely divine. By studying in Guadalajara, you get to experience an amazing selection of authentic local food. Birria, Tortas Ahogadas, and Pozole Rojo are among the most popular must-try dishes in this city.
6. Beautiful surroundings and lovely weatherStudying in Guadalajara will bring you closer to the rich biodiversity of Mexico. Guadalajara is home to the canyon Barranca de Oblatos which is famous for its views and hiking opportunities. This city is also reasonably close to popular Puerto Vallarta resort and various other beautiful beaches. It is close to Lake Chapala as well, which is the largest freshwater lake in Mexico. Within the city, you can find various beautiful parks and plazas that are filled with many trees and fountains. Also, due to its placement in a very suitable region, the weather in this city is mostly pleasant throughout the year.
Attending a semester abroad in Guadalajara will allow you to experience the passion and energy of this exciting city. The vivid experience of the semester exchange in the city will stay with you forever.
With a remarkable track record of hosting over 250 students from diverse corners of the globe, Tellanto is an expert in the realm of student housing. Having gained invaluable firsthand experience of studying abroad, Tellanto possesses an unparalleled understanding of the information students require and the experiences they can anticipate. With this wealth of knowledge, Tellanto stands as a trusted guide, offering comprehensive support and ensuring that students' needs are met during their transformative journeys.
Interdum et malesuada fames