Tellanto Icon

How To Get A Student Visa in Mexico

May 13, 2021
Before you start to study in Mexico, you must familiarize yourself with the Mexican visa rules and prepare yourself accordingly. The guide below will help you in this process of obtaining a student visa in Mexico and everything about the requirements and the costs of the visa.
Whether you want to learn Spanish, try the delicious Mexican cuisine, meet amazing people, or visit exotic destinations, studying in Mexico is a great place to enjoy a memorable study abroad experience. The presence of prestigious universities like Universidad Nacional Autónoma de México (UNAM) and Tecnológico de Monterrey (ITESM), the affordability, and the travel opportunities, make Mexico a desirable place for a study abroad or semester exchange program.

Types of Mexican student visa

If the duration of your studies is less than 180 days, you will need a visitor student visa. If the duration of your studies is more than 180 days, you will need a temporary resident student visa. However, if you are from any of these countries, then you will not require a visa to enter Mexico if the duration of your studies is less than 180 days. In such a case, you are only required to fill the Multiple Migratory Form (FMM) obtained on the airplane or at the port of entry. You may also be asked to provide the letter of acceptance from the educational institution to declare the purpose of your visit. Also, students of any nationality may enter Mexico without a Mexican visa, if they already have a valid visa for USA, UK, Canada, Japan or a Schengen area country. This exemption is, of course, valid only if they are staying in Mexico for less than 180 days.

Cost of the student visa

The cost of obtaining a student visa will vary according to your nationality. You can find the information regarding the cost of a student visa on the website of the Mexican embassy or consulate of your country. The validity of a temporary resident student visa is one year. It could get renewed for a maximum of three years after the first year.

Requirements for student visa in Mexico

Like the cost, the requirements for a student visa may vary slightly with different nationalities. Make sure that you check your country’s Mexican embassy website to know the exact requirements for the student visa. However, the list of requirements commonly includes the following:
  1. Original passport and a photocopy of the information page of the passport.
  2. Original and photocopy of the letter of acceptance from the Mexican institution. The letter must contain your full name, complete name, and address of the institution, the degree, and the level, the area of study, the name, duration and costs of the course you are taking.
  3. Bank account statements to prove your economic solvency during your stay in Mexico. If you are under 25, then you can provide your parents’ bank account statements. If you have a scholarship, then you have to present the scholarship letter from the institution, mentioning the amount of the scholarship.
  4. One passport size color photograph with a white background and face clearly shown.

How to apply for a student visa in Mexico

You have to physically visit the Mexican consulate in your country to apply for a Mexican student visa. To begin the visa process, you must book an appointment online at the MEXITEL website. Then download the visa application form from the Mexican consulate website of your country. Take a printout and fill the form carefully. Afterward, submit the visa application form along with all the required documents, and pay the visa application fees to the Mexican consulate on the day of your appointment.
Student Housing in

Obtaining a temporary resident card

Once your temporary resident student visa is approved, then, after arriving in Mexico, you must apply for a Temporary Resident Card at an immigration office in Mexico. You must do apply for the card within 30 days from the date of your entry in Mexico.

Going to Mexico via the USA

Many international students prefer to travel to Mexico via the USA. If you are a citizen of a country that participates in the Visa Waiver Programme, then you don’t need a visa to travel through the USA. Instead, you can apply for an ESTA (Electronic System for Travel Authorization). The process of applying for ESTA is fairly easy. You can apply for your ESTA by simply filling out the application form online and paying the required fees.
When your visa is sorted, you can check out our pages for the cities, universities, and housing in Mexico and prepare yourself for your trip.

With a remarkable track record of hosting over 250 students from diverse corners of the globe, Tellanto is an expert in the realm of student housing. Having gained invaluable firsthand experience of studying abroad, Tellanto possesses an unparalleled understanding of the information students require and the experiences they can anticipate. With this wealth of knowledge, Tellanto stands as a trusted guide, offering comprehensive support and ensuring that students' needs are met during their transformative journeys.

Your Journey Starts Here

Sign up and we'll send you notifications when the best rooms become available.