Top 7 Things To Do in Guadalajara During Your Semester Abroad
May 13, 2021
Guadalajara, the second largest city in Mexico, proves to be a great amalgamation of the old and new. It’s a popular destinations for international students from all over the world.The rich culture, scenic views, delicious food, friendly locals and the liveliness of the city will make it hard for every international student to leave Guadalajara at the end of their semester abroad. To help you prepare for your semester abroad to this dynamic city, we have compiled this list of top 7 things to do in Guadalajara.
1. Visit the historic centerThe historic center of Guadalajara is filled with numerous beautiful buildings like Hospicio Cabanas, one of the most popular landmarks in the city. It is a UNESCO world heritage site and houses many popular artworks. Another must-see attraction in the historic center is Teatro Degollado. This building leaves the visitors mesmerised with its beautiful paintings. The theatre hosts many cultural events, dance, theatre and opera performances. Also, the grandeur of Guadalajara cathedral is something you can’t miss. The plazas in the historic center provide a cool space to take a stroll and admire the architecture of the place.
2. Try food from GuadalajaraIf you’re a food lover then Guadalajara is a great spot to try some of the best Mexican dishes while you study or intern abroad. Apart from popular Guadalajara specials like torta ahogada, Carne en su jugo, and birria, you will easily find a lot of delicious traditional Mexican dishes in the city. Guadalajara is full of restaurants. Near every student house you will find cozy restaurant with delicious local food. From fancy restaurants to street food carts, there is no chance of running out of options to try some lip-smacking Mexican food, whatever be your budget.
3. Go hiking with other studentsStudying all day makes you tired, obviously. There’s no better remedy than getting our there and exploring the nature. A visit to Barranca de Oblatos is a great way to change up your usual routine. The canyon is filled with dense vegetation and offers spectacular views. The lush greenery of the canyon provides a great atmosphere for exercising. It also consists of thermal water pools. They are free and are great for relaxing after a tiring hike. You can easily reach Barranco de Oblatos by taking the city bus or by hiring a taxi/uber.
4. Enjoy the greeneryThere is no shortage of lush green parks in Guadalajara. The most popular ones include Parque Metropolitano de Guadalajara, Parque Agua Azul and Bosque Colomos. These parks have a vast expanse of green space and provide an ideal atmosphere for many outdoor activities like taking walks, having picnics, biking among others. You can even try horse riding in Bosque Colomos park.
Student Housing in Guadalajara
Find the most social, comfortable and fun student housing in Guadalajara
5. Go shoppingWhile visiting Guadalajara, every student must make a trip to the popular Mercado San Juan de Dios, considered the largest indoor market in Latin America. You will find groceries, clothes, leather goods, and electronics among other items. A trip to this market is a great way for international students to enjoy the traditional Mexican shopping experience. Flea markets, known as tianguis are also great for buying some locally made items. Tianguis Chapultepec and Tianguis el Baratillo are two of the most popular markets in the city. Apart from a wide range of things to buy, you will also find many dancers and street performers in the markets. If you love malls, then head to Andares Centro comercial and Centro Comercial Galerías, the two of the most popular malls in Guadalajara. They consist of many restaurants, high-end shops, cafes, food courts, movie theatre and other entertainment options. Luckily for you, the cost of living in Guadalajara is generally a lot lower than in Western countries.
6. Party like an international studentThe neighborhoods Chapultepec and Zapopan are famous for their vibrant nightlife scene, perfect destinations for students. These lively streets are filled with numerous restaurants, nightclubs, and bars. You will find many options suiting your tastes and preferences. Don’t forget to try the local tequila, and leave something for your friends.
7. Visit the zooThe Guadalajara zoo is home to many diverse species of birds and animals. You will find Bengal tigers, white rhinoceroses, lions, penguins, giraffes (you can even feed them), kangaroos, and hyenas among others. There is also an aquarium in the zoo where you can spot sharks. You can explore the zoo with a safari tour, sky tram or the train.
The diversity of Guadalajara will surely impresses every international student. There is something for every mood, and you will enjoy your stay to the fullest. Your semester abroad to Guadalajara would undoubtedly be an unforgettable experience.
With a remarkable track record of hosting over 250 students from diverse corners of the globe, Tellanto is an expert in the realm of student housing. Having gained invaluable firsthand experience of studying abroad, Tellanto possesses an unparalleled understanding of the information students require and the experiences they can anticipate. With this wealth of knowledge, Tellanto stands as a trusted guide, offering comprehensive support and ensuring that students' needs are met during their transformative journeys.
Interdum et malesuada fames